Title: Group Chairman.
Outline: The Chair will lead the Executive Committee, ensuring that it fulfils its responsibilities within the Group, District or County/Area/Region. The Chair will work closely with the Group Scout Leader/ relevant Commissioner to achieve the purpose of The Scout Association through the development of local Scouting, in accordance with the Policy, Organisation and Rules of The Scout Association.
Responsible for: Executive Committee Members.
Responsible to: The relevant Scout Council.
Appointment requirements: Must successfully complete the appointment process (including acceptable personal enquiries and acceptance of The Scout Association’s policies).
Training Requirements: Must complete Module 1 within 5 months of full appointment.
The responsibilities of the Chair:
- Objectively and impartially chairing and facilitating Executive Committee meetings.
- Acting as the Chair of the relevant Scout Council.
- Planning the annual cycle of Executive Committee meetings and setting the agenda for Executive Committee meetings.
- Monitoring that decisions and actions agreed at Executive Committee meetings are implemented.
- Working closely with the GSL to ensure there are long term and short term goals and the role the Executive Committee can play in helping to achieve these.
- Providing direction for the Executive Committee.
- Ensuring that all members of the Executive Committee have been briefed and inducted into their roles, receive appropriate training, and are aware of their status as charity trustees.
- Addressing and resolving conflicts that arise.
- Membership and attendance of any working groups or sub-Committees set up by the Executive Committee, where appropriate.
Skills for a Chair:
- Strong leadership skills.
- Strong communication and inter-personal skills.
- Ability to work as part of a team.
- Able to think creatively and solve problems.
- Able to motivate others and encourage participation.
- Able to handle and resolve conflict effectively.
- Willing to speak one’s mind and listen to the views of others.
- Able to maintain independent and objective judgement.
- Willing to actively design and contribute to the strategic vision of the Group.
- Willingness to take decisions which will further the work of the Group.
- Role Description for Chairman of the Exec Committee (Adobe PDF Document via scouts.org.uk)
- A Guide for The Group Chairman (Adobe PDF Document via scouts.org.uk)